This pumpkin pound cake from blogger From Scratch Fast is everything we love about fall baking. A touch of almond flour helps give this cake a moist, rich texture, and an irresistible bourbon cream cheese glaze takes it over the top!
Domino® Golden Sugar
Domino® Golden Sugar, the less-processed sugar you can use more freely in all your favorite foods. Made from pure cane sugar, it works cup-for-cup just like white sugar, but has a beautiful golden color and a distinct hint of molasses flavor.
Meet the Chef: Nicki Sizemore
Nicki a trained chef, recipe developer, cookbook author, host and educator. Her mission is to help you make wholesome, delicious and gluten-free dishes from scratch, without having to spend hours in the kitchen!
- 1 1/2 cups All-purpose flour or gluten-free blend 1 1/2 cups All-purpose flour or gluten-free blend
- 1/2 cup Almond flour 1/2 cup Almond flour
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder 1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking soda 1/2 teaspoon Baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon Fine sea salt 3/4 teaspoon Fine sea salt
- 3/4 teaspoon Ground cinnamon 3/4 teaspoon Ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground ginger 1/2 teaspoon Ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon Ground allspice 1/4 teaspoon Ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon Ground cloves 1/4 teaspoon Ground cloves
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) Unsalted butter, softened 1/2 cup (1 stick) Unsalted butter, softened
- Domino® Golden Sugar 1 1/4 cups 1 1/4 cups Domino® Golden Sugar
- 2 large eggs 2 large eggs
- 1 cup canned pumpkin puree 1 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla extract 2 teaspoons Vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup water 1/4 cup water
Bourbon Cream Cheese Glaze (optional)
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- Domino® Confectioners Sugar 1/2 cup Domino® Confectioners Sugar 1/2 cup Domino® Confectioners Sugar Domino® Confectioners Sugar
- 1 teaspoon bourbon (optional) 1 teaspoon bourbon (optional)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons milk, plus more as needed 3 tablespoons milk, plus more as needed
- 1/4 cup finely chopped toasted walnuts or pecans (optional) 1/4 cup finely chopped toasted walnuts or pecans (optional)
Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Coat a 9x5-inch loaf pan with cooking spray, then line it crosswise with parchment paper, leaving a 2-inch overhang (this will make a sling, allowing you to easily pull the cake out of the pan after it’s cooked).
Mix the dry ingredients:
In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, almond flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, allspice, and cloves. Make sure to break up any lumps of almond flour.
Mix the wet ingredients and finish the batter:
In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the butter and Domino® Golden Sugar on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 1 minute. Add the eggs, one at a time. Scrape down the sides, and add the pumpkin puree, vanilla, and water. Beat on low until smooth (the batter will look curdled). Scrape the sides. Beating on low, gradually add the flour mixture. Beat until just combined. Using a rubber spatula, give the batter a stir to make sure there are no streaks of flour.
Bourbon Cream Cheese Glaze
In a stand mixer using the paddle attachment, beat the cream cheese on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, scraping down the sides as needed.
Increase the speed to high. Very slowly add the Domino® Confectioners Sugar (if you add it too quickly, it could become lumpy). Beat until smooth. Reduce the speed to low, and add the bourbon (if using), vanilla and milk. Beat until the glaze is creamy and drizzles easily in a thick, steady stream. If the glaze is too thick to drizzle, beat in a touch more milk.
To glaze the cake, line a baking sheet with parchment paper or foil, and place a wire rack on top. Set the cake on the rack. Generously spoon the Bourbon Cream Cheese Glaze over the cake, spreading it evenly and letting the excess drip down the sides. Sprinkle the top with chopped nuts, if you’d like. Refrigerate the cake for at least 30 minutes before serving.
Do Ahead. The cake tastes even better the next day! The unglazed cake can be wrapped in plastic wrap and refrigerated for up to 4 days or frozen for up to 3 months. Once glazed, the cake can be refrigerated for up to 3 days.