Moist chocolate cake is coated with luscious cream cheese frosting to make this classic, colorful cake.
- 3 cups All-purpose flour 3 cups All-purpose flour
- ¼ cup Unsweetened cocoa powder ¼ cup Unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon Salt ½ teaspoon Salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons Baking soda 1 ½ teaspoons Baking soda
- 2 sticks Unsalted butter, softened 2 sticks Unsalted butter, softened
- Domino® Golden Sugar 2 ½ cups 2 ½ cups Domino® Golden Sugar
- 3 large Eggs, at room temperature 3 large Eggs, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons Red food coloring (liquid) 2 tablespoons Red food coloring (liquid)
- 1 ½ teaspoons Pure vanilla extract 1 ½ teaspoons Pure vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups Buttermilk 1 ½ cups Buttermilk
- 1 ½ teaspoons White vinegar 1 ½ teaspoons White vinegar
Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour three 6x2-inch round cake pans.
In a bowl mix flour, cocoa powder, salt, and baking soda.
In a bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each egg. Add food coloring and vanilla. Mix until well incorporated. Scrape sides of the bowl as needed.
Mix buttermilk and vinegar. With the mixer at low speed, add flour mixture and buttermilk mixture alternately mixing after each addition until combined.
Pour batter into prepared pans and bake for 20 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Remove from oven and cool in the pans for 10 minutes. Remove from pans and cool completely.
When the layers of cake are completely cool, assemble the cake. Cut the top of the layers horizontally with a serrated knife to level the cakes to the same height. Reserve the scraps. Place one layer on the bottom of an 8-inch plate, bottom side up. Spread about one cup of cream cheese frosting and spread. Top with the second layer, add about one cup of cream cheese frosting and spread evenly. Add the third layer, bottom side up, press lightly to set all the layers. Add the rest of the frosting and spread on top and the sides of the cake. Reserve some frosting for decorations.
With your hands, crumble the scraps of cake and carefully apply crumbs to the side of the cake as decoration.