Spiced Rum Syrup
1 cup of syrup
- 1 cup pcked Domino® Dark Brown Sugar
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 8 whole cloves
- 1 whole star anise
- 1 (2 inch) whole cinnamon stick
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 4 whole black peppercorns
- 1 (2 inch) fresh orange peel
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 to 2 tablespoons gold rum (optional)
Stir all ingredients together, except vanilla and rum, in a 2 1/2 quart saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly.
Reduce heat and gently boil for 40 minutes or until mixture reduces down to 1 cup.
Strain out spices and stir in vanilla and rum.
Substitute 1/4 teaspoon rum extract for rum, if desired.
Also delicious over broiled grapefruit.