Filled with creamy topping and fresh strawberries, this shortcake is a dollop of deliciousness.
Domino® Granulated Pure Cane Sugar is extra fine granulated, free-flowing and of the highest quality. This all-purpose sugar is ideal for table use, baking, preserving, canning, and for sweetening beverages.
A very fine, powdered sugar with exceptionally smooth texture. Ideal for making frostings, glazes, fudge, and candy-making. Contains cornstarch to prevent caking.
- 2 cups Domino® Granulated Sugar 2 cups Domino® Granulated Sugar
- 1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) butter or margarine, softened 1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) butter or margarine, softened
- 1 teaspoon lemon peel, grated 1 teaspoon lemon peel, grated
- 1/2 teaspoon salt 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon mace or nutmeg 1/2 teaspoon mace or nutmeg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla or brandy extract 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla or brandy extract
- 3 1/2 cups cake flour 3 1/2 cups cake flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 6 eggs 6 eggs
- 4 cups fresh strawberries, washed, hulled and cut in half 4 cups fresh strawberries, washed, hulled and cut in half
- 1/3 cup Domino® Granulated Sugar 1/3 cup Domino® Granulated Sugar
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons Domino® Confectioners Sugar 2 tablespoons Domino® Confectioners Sugar
Preheat oven to 325°F. Generously grease and flour a 10-inch tube pan.
Combine sugar, butter, lemon peel, salt and mace in large bowl. Beat at medium speed until light and fluffy. Add vanilla; mix well. Gradually add flour and baking powder until well mixed. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Pour batter into prepared pan.
Bake at 325°F for 70 to 80 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean and cake is golden brown. Invert cake onto cooling rack. Cool completely.
Combine strawberries, sugar, lemon peel and orange peel in medium bowl; mix well. Let stand for 1 hour.
Beat cream in medium bowl at high speed until stiff peaks form. Gradually add confectioners' sugar, beating until stiff peaks form.
For each serving, place one slice of cake on a plate and top with 1/4 cup of strawberry topping and a dollop of cream topping. Repeat for a second layer.