A fresh and simple strawberry upside down cake, perfect for breakfast or as a light dessert.
NEW Domino Golden Sugar 3.125 LB Easy Baking Tub
Our new Domino Golden Sugar Easy Baking Tub will make your baking more convenient. Domino Golden Sugar is scoopable directly from the tub which clicks closed for confident resealing and it even has windows to see when the sugar is running low.
Meet the Chef: Amanda Powell
Amanda is the recipe developer and food photographer behind A Cookie Named Desire. Her love of cooking and baking developed slowly since she was a child and eventually blossomed into something more while living in London and seeing the faces of her friends light up when enjoying her baked goods. She started A Cookie Named Desire as a way to spread more joy and sweetness. She hopes her recipes can help people create happy memories and traditions in the kitchen with the people they love and care for.
- Domino® Golden Sugar ½ cup ½ cup Domino® Golden Sugar
- 2 tablespoons Arrowroot starch 2 tablespoons Arrowroot starch
- ½ teaspoon Vanilla ½ teaspoon Vanilla
- 1lbs Strawberries 1lbs Strawberries
- 1 large Egg, room temperature 1 large Egg, room temperature
- ½ cup Sour cream, room temperature ½ cup Sour cream, room temperature
- 1 ½ teaspoons Vanilla extract 1 ½ teaspoons Vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups All-purpose flour 1 ½ cups All-purpose flour
- Domino® Golden Sugar ¾ cup ¾ cup Domino® Golden Sugar
- ¾ teaspoon Baking powder ¾ teaspoon Baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon Baking soda ¼ teaspoon Baking soda
- ½ teaspoon Sea salt ½ teaspoon Sea salt
- 9 tablespoons Unsalted butter, room temperature & cubed 9 tablespoons Unsalted butter, room temperature & cubed
Prepare the cake top:
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Cut out a round of parchment paper and line the bottom of an 8-inch cake pan.
Whisk the Domino® Golden Sugar and arrowroot starch together in a medium bowl.
Add the strawberries and stir so the berries are fully coated and add the vanilla; set aside.
Mix the egg, half the sour cream, and vanilla together in a medium bowl; set aside.
Mix the flour, Domino® Golden Sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together in the mixer.
Add the remaining sour cream and butter to the flour and mix until just combined.
Slowly add egg mixture and mix until just combined.
Spread the strawberries in an even layer in the prepared skillet, do not worry about arranging them in a pattern as long as they touch the edges of the pan.
Drop the batter onto the strawberries, then gently spread evenly.
Bake for 35 - 45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Allow to cool one minute, then run a knife around the edges and flip the pan over onto a plate to release the cake.
You can replace the vanilla extract in the strawberries with fresh vanilla beans for an even more delicious pop of flavor.
Adding lemon zest to either the strawberries or batter will also brighten the cake wonderfully!