Ginger snap cookies, topped with spiced sweet potatoes, and toasted sweet meringue.
NEW Domino Golden Sugar 3.125 LB Easy Baking Tub
Our new Domino Golden Sugar Easy Baking Tub will make your baking more convenient. Domino Golden Sugar is scoopable directly from the tub which clicks closed for confident resealing and it even has windows to see when the sugar is running low.
For the Ginger Snap Cookies
- 1/4 cup Butter 1/4 cup Butter
- Domino® Golden Sugar 1/2 cup 1/2 cup Domino® Golden Sugar
- 1 Egg 1 Egg
- 1 Tablespoon Unsweetened Apple Sauce 1 Tablespoon Unsweetened Apple Sauce
- 1 Cup All-purpose flour (sifted) 1 Cup All-purpose flour (sifted)
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground ginger 1/2 teaspoon Ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground cinnamon 1/2 teaspoon Ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon Baking soda 1/4 teaspoon Baking soda
- 1 pinch Salt 1 pinch Salt
For the Trifle
- 1 Large Sweet Potato 1 Large Sweet Potato
- 1 Tablespoon Butter 1 Tablespoon Butter
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon Nutmeg 1/4 teaspoon Nutmeg
- Domino® Dark Brown Sugar 1/3 cup 1/3 cup Domino® Dark Brown Sugar
- 6 Egg Whites 6 Egg Whites
- Domino® Golden Sugar 1/4 cup 1/4 cup Domino® Golden Sugar
Make the Gingersnap Cookies
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
Cream the butter and Domino® Golden Sugar. Mix in the egg and applesauce.
Mix in the sifted flour, ginger, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt. Once the cookie dough comes together. Dough will be soft and will hold together.
Spray a nonstick half-sized sheet tray (13x18”) with non-stick cooking spray. With a medium size scoop, scoop 8 cookies being sure to space them 2 inches apart. Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 10 minutes, let cool completely.
Prepare the Trifle
Peel and dice sweet potato. Add to a medium pot with enough water to cover by 1 inch. Boil until fork tender, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool.
In a bowl, mix the butter, cinnamon, nutmeg, and Domino® Dark Brown Sugar together until smooth.
To make the meringue, place the egg whites and Domino® Golden Sugar in a bowl, and place over a half a pot of water, constantly mixing. Do not let the bowl touch the water. Heat until 160 degrees Fahrenheit.
Place the meringue mixture into a clean bowl and whisk until you get stiff peaks.
Add the ginger snap cookies into a sandwich bag and crush.
Assemble your trifles
Grab 6-8 individual containers, layer the crushed gingersnap cookies, then sweet potato filling, another layer of cookies, then sweet potato and top it with a dollop of meringue. Using a torch, lightly torch the top for a beautiful presentation.
It’s very important to have a squeaky-clean bowl and beaters when making the meringue. If there is any residue in the bowl, the meringue will likely not form stiff peaks.
When scooping the gingersnap cookie dough on the tray, be sure not to overcrowd the pan as it will cause the cookies to spread and become flat.