Vanilla Rosemary Cake with Lemon Curd Filling and Lemon Butter Cream Frosting
- ½ cup whole milk
- 2/3 cup fresh rosemary sprigs, divided, 1/3 cup finely chopped
- 2¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ¾ cup (1½ sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 1/3 cups Domino® Organic Raw Cane Sugar
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Lemon Curd Ingredients
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup Domino® Quick Dissolve Superfine Sugar
- 1 cup lemon juice
- zest of one lemon, finely grated
- ¼ cup (½ stick) finely chopped butter
Lemon Butter Cream Ingredients
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter or margarine, softened
- 4 cups Domino® Powdered Sugar
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 2 (9-inch) cake pans; set aside.
In a small saucepan, over low, heat milk and 1/3 cup rosemary sprigs just until warmed.
Cover and remove pan from heat. Let steep for 15 minutes.
In a bowl, strain milk. Let cool to room temperature.
In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar until creamy. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing after each addition. Add yogurt and vanilla; mix until blended. Add flour mixture, alternating with the rosemary milk. Stir in 1/3 cup chopped rosemary.
Divide batter evenly between 2 cake pans. Bake 30-35 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes; invert onto cooling rack. Cool completely.
Lemon Curd Instructions
Place a sieve over a clean bowl and place aside.
In the top of a double boiler, whisk together egg yolks, whole egg and sugar until smooth. Whisk in lemon juice and lemon zest. Whisk in butter.
Over medium heat, with water simmering, cook ingredients in top of double boiler until thick, stirring constantly, about 7-9 minutes. Do not boil. Strain mixture through a sieve into bowl.
Cover surface with plastic wrap to prevent a film from forming. Place in refrigerator and cool completely, about 2 hours.
Lemon Butter Cream Instructions
In a medium bowl, with electric mixer at low speed, beat butter until fluffy. Add sugar 1 cup at a time; mix to combine. Add milk and lemon juice and mix until creamy.