This eye-catching White Almond Cake with Meringue Buttercream by blogger Eat Cake Be Merry is sure to be a hit at your next celebration. Make using new Domino® Golden Sugar and you'll enjoy every bite.
Domino® Golden Sugar
Domino® Golden Sugar, the less-processed sugar you can use more freely in all your favorite foods. Made from pure cane sugar, it works cup-for-cup just like white sugar, but has a beautiful golden color and a distinct hint of molasses flavor.
White Almond Cake
- 1 cup Unsalted Butter, softened (2 sticks) 1 cup Unsalted Butter, softened (2 sticks)
- 1/4 cup Vegetable Oil 1/4 cup Vegetable Oil
- Domino® Golden Sugar 2 cups 2 cups Domino® Golden Sugar
- 1 cup Egg whites (~7 large eggs) 1 cup Egg whites (~7 large eggs)
- 3 1/2 cup All Purpose Flour 3 1/2 cup All Purpose Flour
- 1 tablespoon Baking Powder 1 tablespoon Baking Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 2 cups Whole Milk 2 cups Whole Milk
- 2 teaspoons Almond Extract 2 teaspoons Almond Extract
Golden Meringue Buttercream
- 1/3 cup Water 1/3 cup Water
- Domino® Golden Sugar 1 1/2 cups 1 1/2 cups Domino® Golden Sugar
- 1 cup Egg Whites (~7 large eggs) 1 cup Egg Whites (~7 large eggs)
- 1 1/2 pounds Unsalted Butter, softened (6 sticks) 1 1/2 pounds Unsalted Butter, softened (6 sticks)
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract 2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
White Almond Cake:
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Meanwhile, prepare three 8” round cake pans with baking spray and line the bottom with parchment.
Sift together flour, baking powder and salt. Separately, combine the milk and almond extract.
Using a mixer, whip butter, oil and Domino® Golden Sugar on high with a paddle attachment until fluffy and light in color.
On medium speed, add in a few egg whites at a time making sure they are fully incorporated before adding more. Then stop and scrape down the sides of the bowl.
Switch to low speed and add a third of the dry ingredients until just combined, followed by half of the wet ingredients.
Continue to alternate adding in dry ingredients and wet ingredients, starting and ending with dry. Stop to scrape down the sides of the bowl once more and mix again for 2-3 seconds until everything is incorporated.
Pour batter into prepared cake pans and bake for 28-30 mins or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Golden Sugar Italian Meringue Buttercream
Combine water and Domino® Golden Sugar in a small sauce pan. Do not stir. On medium-high heat bring the mixture to a boil until the syrup reaches 240° (soft ball stage).
Before the syrup reaches its desired temperature, at about 220°F, start whipping the egg whites with a whisk attachment on medium-high speed until it becomes fluffy, white and reaches stiff peaks.
With the mixer running, slowly pour the syrup down the side of the bowl in a thin, steady stream into the egg whites. Once all the syrup has been added, change the speed to high and let it whip until the bowl is cool to the touch and a voluminous meringue forms.
On low speed, add in softened butter, a little at a time. Once all the butter has been added the meringue will look deflated. Switch to medium-high speed and mix until the buttercream regains its volume and structure.
Add in vanilla extract and mix until fully incorporated.
This buttercream will keep at room temperature for 2-3 days. If you are planning to keep it any longer than that, store it in the fridge or freezer. For delicious variations add cocoa powder, peanut butter, fruit purees or different flavored extracts.