A light and flavorful white chocolate mocha cake
NEW Domino Golden Sugar 3.125 LB Easy Baking Tub
Our new Domino Golden Sugar Easy Baking Tub will make your baking more convenient. Domino Golden Sugar is scoopable directly from the tub which clicks closed for confident resealing and it even has windows to see when the sugar is running low.
- 3/4 cup High-quality white chocolate, chopped 3/4 cup High-quality white chocolate, chopped
- 3 cups All-purpose flour 3 cups All-purpose flour
- Domino® Golden Sugar 1 1/4 cups 1 1/4 cups Domino® Golden Sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Instant espresso powder 1 1/2 tablespoons Instant espresso powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Baking powder 1 1/2 tablespoons Baking powder
- 1 teaspoon Sea salt 1 teaspoon Sea salt
- 2/3 cup Unsalted butter, room temperature 2/3 cup Unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 large Eggs, room temperature 2 large Eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup Whole milk, room temperature 1 cup Whole milk, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla extract 2 teaspoons Vanilla extract
- 1 cup Unsalted butter, room temperature 1 cup Unsalted butter, room temperature
- 4 ounces Cream cheese, room temperature 4 ounces Cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Instant espresso 1 1/2 tablespoons Instant espresso
- Domino® Powdered Sugar 4 cups 4 cups Domino® Powdered Sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon Sea salt 1/4 teaspoon Sea salt
- 4-5 tablespoons Heavy cream, or more as needed 4-5 tablespoons Heavy cream, or more as needed
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
- 8 ounces High-quality white chocolate 8 ounces High-quality white chocolate
- 1/4 cup Heavy cream 1/4 cup Heavy cream
- White chocolate White chocolate
- Espresso beans Espresso beans
Prepare the cakes
Line the bottom of 3 6-inch round cake pans with parchment paper. Grease and flour the sides and bottom of the pans. Preheat the oven to 350° F.
Add the white chocolate to a metal bowl and place the bowl over a small saucepan filled with simmering water.
Stir the white chocolate continuously until it is fully melted. Set aside to cool.
In the bowl of your stand mixer, add the flour, Domino® Golden Sugar, instant espresso, baking powder, and salt. Stir to combine.
Run the paddle attachment on the mixer on medium-low as you add in the butter one tablespoon at a time until fully incorporated. The mixture will look like wet sand.
Add the eggs, milk, and vanilla extract in a separate bowl and whisk together.
Drizzle the milk mixture into the stand mixer slowly and mix to combine, stopping to scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl frequently.
Fold in the melted white chocolate until just combined.
Evenly divide the cake batter into the cake pans.
Bake for 30 - 35 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the middle.
Allow to cool in the pans for about 10 minutes, then remove before placing on a wire rack to cool completely. Once at room temperature, wrap well and chill in the refrigerator.
Prepare the frosting
Beat the butter and cream cheese together until smooth.
Mix in the espresso, Domino® Confectioners Sugar, and salt. Mix until combined. The mixture may seem crumbly, but this is normal.
Add in the heavy cream and vanilla. Mix until smooth.
Melt the white chocolate on the double boiler just as you did earlier. Stir in the heavy cream, then pour the mixture into a container and chill until needed.
Assemble the cake
Take out the cakes and level the tops.
Spread frosting over one of the cakes, then top with a second cake. Repeat until you place the final cake.
Spread a thin layer of frosting over the entire cake and chill for about 15 minutes.
Take out the cake, and frost it, then chill for another 15 minutes.
Add the ganache to the top of the cake and allow it to drizzle down the sides.
Use any remaining frosting to decorate the top and/or sides of the cake.
Garnish with white chocolate and whole espresso beans, or other tasty garnishes, if desired.
You can make the cake in parts ahead of time and assemble when ready. The frosting can be made three days ahead of time and kept in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Bring to room temperature before using.
The cake can be made weeks in advance, if kept tightly wrapped and in an airtight container in the freezer prior to leveling. Thaw in the refrigerator the day before assembling.
The ganache may also be made in advance, if kept in the refrigerator in an airtight container. Place in a bowl of hot water to loosen.
If you do not have instant espresso, instant coffee will work, as well as coffee-flavored extract (1 ½ teaspoons of extract per tablespoon of instant espresso)
Variations: Add peppermint extract to the cake and the frosting for a peppermint white chocolate mocha cake! Replace the white chocolate with semi-sweet or dark chocolate for a delicious mocha cake!