Apple Brown Betty
- 6 cups Granny Smith apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 slices firm white or whole wheat bread
- 3/4 cup firmly packed Light Brown Sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon lemon rind, grated
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter or margarine, cut into small pieces
- 1/4 cup water
Preheat oven to 375°F. Prepare a 1-quart baking dish.
In large mixing bowl, toss apples with lemon juice; set aside.
In food processor, process bread slices with on/off turns until finely ground. Add brown sugar, cinnamon and lemon rind; process until blended.
In bottom of prepared baking dish, arrange half the apple slices. Sprinkle with half the crumb mixture; dot with half the butter. Repeat with the remaining apples, crumb mixture and butter. Drizzle with water. Cover with foil.
Bake 45 to 55 minutes, or until apples are tender. Cool on wire rack. Serve warm.
Use bread that has dried out a bit.