These rich, chocolate cupcakes surround a smooth, sweet filling bursting with hazelnut flavor, and are topped with a lightly whipped frosting.
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup all-purpose flour 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- 1 cup Domino® Granulated Sugar 1 cup Domino® Granulated Sugar
- 3 eggs 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup buttermilk 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- 2 cups Domino® Powdered Sugar 2 cups Domino® Powdered Sugar
- 3 tablespoons milk 3 tablespoons milk
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, chopped into 4 pieces 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, chopped into 4 pieces
- 1/2 cup cocoa- hazelnut spread 1/2 cup cocoa- hazelnut spread
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line 12 muffin cups with paper liners.
In a medium bowl, whisk or sift together the cocoa powder, flour, baking powder and salt.
In a separate bowl, with an electric mixer, cream together the butter and sugar until smooth. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
In a small bowl or measuring cup mix together the buttermilk and vanilla. With the mixer on low speed, add 1/2 of the cocoa and flour mixture to the creamed mixture until combined. Mix in the milk mixture; then, add remaining flour mixture. Beat until smooth. Pour batter into prepared muffin cups, dividing evenly.
Bake 18 minutes or until a pick inserted in the middle comes clean. Cool before filling and frosting.
In mixing bowl beat together all ingredients, adding the butter one piece at a time. Beat until fluffy. If the frosting is too soft to spread or pipe, add more confectioners sugar or chill a bit to firm.
With a paring knife, cut a hole out of the center top of each cupcake, about 1 inch deep and 3/4 inches wide. Fill each hole with 1 teaspoon of the cocoa-hazelnut spread. Spread or pipe frosting on top.
Buttermilk is easy to make by measuring a scant 1/3 cup milk into a measuring cup and adding 1 teaspoon of white vinegar