This homemade cranberry jam by blogger Moments of Sugar is sandwiched between shortbread cookies for a holiday treat.
- ¾ cup (12 tablespoons) unsalted butter, softened ¾ cup (12 tablespoons) unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup Domino® Golden Sugar ½ cup Domino® Golden Sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 large egg yolk 1 large egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons unbleached all purpose flour 1 cup + 2 tablespoons unbleached all purpose flour
- ¾ cup almond flour ¾ cup almond flour
- 3 tablespoons Domino® Confectioners Sugar, for dusting 3 tablespoons Domino® Confectioners Sugar, for dusting
- 1 ½ cup fresh or frozen cranberries 1 ½ cup fresh or frozen cranberries
- Domino® Golden Sugar ½ cup ½ cup Domino® Golden Sugar
- ¼ cup water ¼ cup water
- ¼ cup lemon juice ¼ cup lemon juice
Combine flours in a bowl and mix well.
In a bowl of a stand mixer (or with hand held mixer), cream butter and sugar together for 3 minutes. Add lemon zest and egg yolk. Beat to combine well. Beat in vanilla. On slow speed, add flours and mix until just incorporated. Do not over mix.
Place half of the dough on a large section of plastic wrap. With the sides of the plastic wrap, mold the dough into a round disc and wrap tightly. Repeat with other half and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to firm up.
Roll out each disc of dough in between 2 sheets of plastic wrap or parchment paper. With a linzer cookie cutter, cut out as many rounds as possible and place on baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Place baking sheet into refrigerator to chill. Repeat with other disc of dough and cut out the centers with a smaller cookie cutter with shape of your choice. Chill the trays of cookie dough for 30 minutes.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Bake cookies for 10-12 minutes, until the edges have turned golden brown and cookies are set. Cool completely.
In a medium saucepan, combine cranberries, golden sugar, water, and lemon juice over medium heat, stirring constantly. Bring mixture to a boil and then lower heat to a simmer.
Mash up the cranberries as they are simmering. Simmer mixture for about 8-10 minutes, until mixture thickens slightly.
Remove from heat and pour mixture into a fine mesh strainer over a bowl. With a rubber spatula or the back of a spoon, push the jam through the strainer and discard the pulp. Cover the jam with plastic wrap and set aside to cool completely.
Turn all the bottom cookies upside down. Layout all the tops (with centers cut out) and dust lightly with Domino® Confectioners Sugar. Spread ½ tablespoon of cooled jam on the bottoms and carefully sandwich them with the tops.
1. Cookie dough can be made up to 3 days ahead of time—tightly wrapped in plastic wrap, kept in refrigerator.
2. Cranberry jam can be made up to 2 weeks ahead of time, kept in an airtight container in refrigerator.