Light and fluffy lemony small bites tossed in Golden sugar.
- Vegetable oil, for frying Vegetable oil, for frying
- 2 cups All-purpose flour 2 cups All-purpose flour
- Domino® Golden Sugar ¾ cup ¾ cup Domino® Golden Sugar
- 2 tablespoons Baking Powder 2 tablespoons Baking Powder
- ¼ teaspoon Salt ¼ teaspoon Salt
- 2 tablespoons Lemon zest 2 tablespoons Lemon zest
- 5 large Eggs 5 large Eggs
- 1 ¾ cups Ricotta cheese 1 ¾ cups Ricotta cheese
- 1 tablespoon Pure vanilla extract 1 tablespoon Pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup Domino® Golden Sugar for coating 1 cup for coating Domino® Golden Sugar
In a large saucepan, preheat oil to 350°F. Prepare a cookie sheet with paper towel to drain doughnuts as they come out of the hot oil.
Mix all dry ingredients followed by all wet ingredients until well combined.
Scoop small amounts of dough into the oil. You can use a small ice cream scoop to make them uniform. Add 4-5 pieces at a time and fry until golden brown, about 7 minutes. Make sure you keep an eye on the temperature, if oil is too hot, doughnuts will turn golden brown but the center may still be raw. Remove from oil and drain in paper towel. Repeat until done will all the dough.
While still hot, toss doughnuts with sugar and serve.
You can serve the doughnuts with Lemon curd, recipe here:
1 stick unsalted butter, softened
1 ½ cups Domino® Golden Sugar
2 large eggs
2 eggs yolks
4 lemons, zest and juice
1/8 teaspoon salt
In a large bowl of a stand mixer, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs and egg yolks, one a time. Add lemon zest, juice, and salt.
Transfer mixture to a saucepan and cook at low-medium heat until thick and creamy, stirring constantly. The mixture will look curd while cooking, but it will come together after cooking for a while. Remove from heat and cool. Refrigerate.
Additional Tip: Cover the curd placing plastic wrap right on top of curd to prevent it from forming a skin.