A delicious tart made with a blend of fresh fruit nestled on top of golden pastry cream.
NEW Domino Golden Sugar 3.125 LB Easy Baking Tub
Our new Domino Golden Sugar Easy Baking Tub will make your baking more convenient. Domino Golden Sugar is scoopable directly from the tub which clicks closed for confident resealing and it even has windows to see when the sugar is running low.
Golden Pastry Cream (Makes about 2 cups):
- 2/3 cup Domino® Golden Sugar 2/3 cup Domino® Golden Sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups milk 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 egg yolks, beaten lightly 3 egg yolks, beaten lightly
- 2 tablespoons butter 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup heavy cream 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon Domino® Golden Sugar 1 tablespoon Domino® Golden Sugar
- 2 cups assorted berries, such as blackberries, raspberries and blueberries 2 cups assorted berries, such as blackberries, raspberries and blueberries
- 1 cup hulled and halved strawberries 1 cup hulled and halved strawberries
For the Golden Pastry Cream filling:
In a medium saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch, and salt. Gradually whisk in milk and cream. Cook over medium heat, constantly whisk until mixture thickens and begins to boil. Gently boil 3-5 minutes or until mixture is thick and translucent. Remove from heat and vigorously whisk about 1 cup of the hot mixture into egg yolks; then, whisk back into hot mixture in saucepan. Return to medium heat, whisking constantly, for 1 minute or until thick and custard coats the back of a spoon. Remove from heat and stir in butter and vanilla.
Turn custard into a bowl, cover with plastic wrap, pressing on the surface to prevent a film, and chill for a minimum of 2 hours.
While Golden Pastry Cream is chilling, whip heavy cream in a chilled bowl with chilled beaters until soft peaks form. Add sugar and continue to beat just until stiff. Cover and chill until ready to use.
Whip chilled pastry cream slightly then spread over the length of tart or spoon into individual tart shells.
Use a piping bag with a fluted tip of choice to pipe chilled whipped cream around the perimeter of the tart(s). Decoratively arrange fruit on top of Golden Pastry Cream and around the whipped cream. Chill until ready to serve.
Whisking some of the thickened cream into the beaten egg yolks first tempers the yolks and keeps them from overcooking. Do not let custard boil after the egg yolks are added or the custard is likely to curdle. The finished custard should reach a minimum of 160 F. for food safety.