For the Crust
- 1 1/4 cups All-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 cup Shortening, cold
- 4-5 tablespoons Ice water
For the Filling
- 1 can (15 ounces) Pumpkin puree
- 2 large Eggs, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup Domino® Light Brown Sugar
- 3 tablespoons Unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 can (12 ounces) Evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon Ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon Ground cloves
- pinch Freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
Prep Time : 20 minutes / Cook Time : 20 minutes / Yields: 8
In a medium mixing bowl, stir together the flour and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in the shortening until mixture resembles fine crumbs.
Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of the water over part of the mixture; gently push moistened dough to the side of the bowl. Repeat, using 1 tablespoon of the remaining water at a time, until dough is moistened. Form dough into a ball. Wrap with plastic paper and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
Preheat oven to 425°F.
Remove the dough from the refrigerator. On a lightly floured surface, flatten the ball of dough with your hands. Roll the dough from center to the edges, forming a circle about 12 inches in diameter. Ease pastry into a 9-inch pie plate.
Trim the pastry to 1/2 inch beyond the edge of the pie plate. Fold the extra pastry under the edge. Place in the refrigerator to rest while preparing the filling.
In a large bowl, mix all the ingredients for the filling until well combined. Pour the filling into the crust.
Bake for 10 minutes and then reduce the temperature to 325°F and continue to bake for 30-40 minutes or until the pie filling is set. Remove from the oven and place over a cooling rack.
Serve the pie cold or at room temperature. Prepare freshly whipped cream to serve. Sprinkle some ground cinnamon or freshly grated nutmeg over the cream as garnish.