As colorful as its namesake, this yellow cake is frosted with a tangy cream cheese icing and adorned with sprinkles for a festive look.
Domino® Golden Sugar
Domino® Golden Sugar, the less-processed sugar you can use more freely in all your favorite foods. Made from pure cane sugar, it works cup-for-cup just like white sugar, but has a beautiful golden color and a distinct hint of molasses flavor.
- 2 sticks Unsalted butter, softened 2 sticks Unsalted butter, softened
- Domino® Golden Sugar 2 cups 2 cups Domino® Golden Sugar
- 4 large Eggs, at room temperature 4 large Eggs, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon Pure vanilla extract 1 tablespoon Pure vanilla extract
- 3 ½ cups All-purpose flour 3 ½ cups All-purpose flour
- 2 ½ tablespoons Baking powder 2 ½ tablespoons Baking powder
- 1 teaspoon Salt 1 teaspoon Salt
- ½ cup Whole milk ½ cup Whole milk
- ½ cup Sour cream ½ cup Sour cream
- 1 ½ cups Rainbow sprinkles 1 ½ cups Rainbow sprinkles
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 2 (8 oz.) pkgs. cream cheese, softened 2 (8 oz.) pkgs. cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Domino® Confectioners Sugar 1 (2 lb.) bag 1 (2 lb.) bag Domino® Confectioners Sugar
Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour three 8x2-inch round cake pans.
In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, and the vanilla. Continue mixing until well incorporated.
In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt. With the mixer at low speed, alternately add flour mixture and milk. Ending the process with flour mixture. Mix about 1 minute. Add sour cream and mix until well incorporated.
Fold in rainbow sprinkles. Pour the batter evenly into the prepared pans and bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
Remove from oven and let the cakes cool in the pan for 20 minutes. Remove from pan and set in a cooling rack. Cool completely.
Assemble cake with cream cheese frosting. Place one cake layer, bottom side up, on a plate. Spread ½ cup cream cheese frosting. Top with second layer, bottom side up, and ½ cup cream cheese frosting. Top with remaining layer, bottom side up. Reserve about ½ cup of frosting for rosettes decoration on top. Ice the cake with the remaining frosting. Decorate with rosettes by using a pastry bag fitted with the 1M tip.
Carefully, using your hands, apply rainbow sprinkles to the bottom third of the cake. Sprinkle extra rainbow sprinkles on top.
Cream Cheese Frosting
In large bowl, beat cream cheese, butter and vanilla until creamy. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar.
To make a decorator frosting, prepare one-half recipe of the above. Beat in 1/4 to 1/2 cup additional confectioners' sugar. Color as desired with food color; use in a decorator tube.
For the frosting: to thin, add a few drops of milk; to thicken, add additional confectioners' sugar.