NEW Domino Golden Sugar 3.125 LB Easy Baking Tub
Our new Domino Golden Sugar Easy Baking Tub will make your baking more convenient. Domino Golden Sugar is scoopable directly from the tub which clicks closed for confident resealing and it even has windows to see when the sugar is running low.
For the Pastry Cream
- 2 ¼ cups Whole milk 2 ¼ cups Whole milk
- Domino® Golden Sugar 2/3 cup 2/3 cup Domino® Golden Sugar
- 1 tablespoon Lemon zest 1 tablespoon Lemon zest
- 1/3 cup Cornstarch 1/3 cup Cornstarch
- 8 large Egg yolks 8 large Egg yolks
- pinch Salt pinch Salt
- 4 tablespoons Unsalted butter, at room temperature 4 tablespoons Unsalted butter, at room temperature
For the Whipped Cream
- 2 cups Heavy whipping cream 2 cups Heavy whipping cream
- Domino® Golden Sugar 2 tablespoons 2 tablespoons Domino® Golden Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
For the Trifle
- 1 Pound cake, store bought or follow the recipe Golden Pound Cake with Warm Lemon Sauce | Domino Sugar to prepare your own, cut into 1-inch cubes 1 Pound cake, store bought or follow the recipe Golden Pound Cake with Warm Lemon Sauce | Domino Sugar to prepare your own, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 cups Fresh strawberries, sliced 2 cups Fresh strawberries, sliced
- 1 ½ cups Fresh blueberries 1 ½ cups Fresh blueberries
- 1 ½ cups Fresh raspberries 1 ½ cups Fresh raspberries
- Whole strawberries, as decoration Whole strawberries, as decoration
Prepare the pastry cream. Combine milk, 1/3 cup of sugar, and lemon zest in a medium saucepan. Bring the mixture to a boil. Remove from heat. In a large bowl, combine the reminder 1/3 cup of sugar with the cornstarch. Slowly whisk half of the milk mixture into the cornstarch mixture. Whisk in egg yolks, one at a time, until incorporated. Add the salt. Pour the egg yolk mixture into the milk mixture in the saucepan.
Cook the mixture over low heat, whisking continuously, until the mixture thickens. Remove from heat and add pieces of butter whisking until all the butter is incorporated and the cream looks smooth. Strain the pastry cream and let cool.
Prepare the whipped cream. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, whip the cream until it forms soft peaks. Slowly add sugar and vanilla. Beat at medium speed until the cream forms stiff peaks. Do not overbeat.
Assemble the trifle. Place one layer of cubes of pound cake in the bottom of a trifle dish. Top with a layer of strawberries, blueberries, and raspberries. Add dollops of pastry cream and whipped cream on top of the berries. Repeat the process ending with a layer of cake, berries, and pastry cream.
Decorate with whipped cream and whole strawberries. Place in the refrigerator and allow the trifle to rest for 20 minutes. Serve cold.