Making homemade bread has never been easier with this Twisted Almond Morning Buns recipe from blogger Lion's Bread.
- 1 cup warm milk 1 cup warm milk
- 1 egg, beaten 1 egg, beaten
- 4 tablespoons room temperature butter 4 tablespoons room temperature butter
- 1.5 tsp kosher salt 1.5 tsp kosher salt
- 4 cups AP flour 4 cups AP flour
- Domino® Golden Sugar 2/3 cup 2/3 cup Domino® Golden Sugar
- 2 1/2 tsp active dry yeast 2 1/2 tsp active dry yeast
- 1 tsp vanilla extract 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp almond extract 1 tsp almond extract
- 5 tablespoons melted butter 5 tablespoons melted butter
- Domino® Golden Sugar 1/3 cup 1/3 cup Domino® Golden Sugar
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 cup honey 1/4 cup honey
- Domino® Golden Sugar 1/2 cup 1/2 cup Domino® Golden Sugar
- 1/4 tsp almond extract 1/4 tsp almond extract
- 1 cup roasted unsalted almonds, chopped finely 1 cup roasted unsalted almonds, chopped finely
In the bowl of a stand mixer, fitted with the dough hook attachment, add the warm milk, sugar, and dry active yeast. Use a fork to combine and let stand for 5 minutes to activates the yeast.
Add the beaten egg and extracts. Stir on low to incorporate. Add the flour, salt, and room temperature butter. Mix on low for 2 minutes, then scrape down the sides with a spatula.
Mix on medium speed for about 5-6 minutes until the dough comes together.
Scrape the dough out into a floured surface and shape it into a ball. Place in a clean bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm spot for about 2 hours.
Make the filling by combining the butter, cinnamon, sugar, almond extract, and salt in a bowl and mixing well.
Place the risen dough on a very well floured work surface. Roll out into a large rectangle, about 12”x14”. Brush half of the filling mixture into the middle 1/3 of the dough. Fold up one end of the dough over the filling, like a letter. Brush the remaining filling onto the dough you just folded. Then fold the other 1/3 over, like a letter. Flour the top of the dough, and gently roll back out into a large rectangle.
Place a piece of parchment paper on a large baking sheet. Use a pizza cutter to cut 8 long skinny strips of dough lengthwise. Take each strip, fold it in half, and twist the strips around each other. Then roll it up into a spiral, and touch the end neatly under. Repeat with the remaining 7 strips.
Place the buns on the prepared baking sheet and cover loosely with plastic wrap and let rise for another 30-40 minutes.
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Brush the buns with a beaten egg, and bake for 18-20 minutes or until golden brown.
Allow to cool for 10 minutes. Make the glaze by warming up the honey until hot and very liquid. Add the powdered sugar and almond extract. Whisk to combine until smooth. Brush the glaze over the warm buns. Sprinkle with the chopped almonds.
These morning buns are best eaten right away. To reheat, place in 300° oven for 10 minutes.