5 (1/2 pint) jars of butter
- 4 pounds (about 8 large) tart apples, cut in quarters
- 1 1/2 cups apple cider or water
- 1 cup firmly packed Domino® Dark Brown Sugar
- 3/4 cup Domino® Granulated Sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger, ground
- 1 pinch salt
In a large, heavy kettle or Dutch oven, combine apples and cider. Cover and cook until soft, about 15 minutes; adding more liquid if necessary.
Press mixture through a fine sieve or food mill. Return purée to kettle. Add sugars, lemon juice, cinnamon, ginger and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, until thickened and no more liquid separates from pulp, about 45 to 60 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Ladle into hot, sterilized canning jars, leaving 1/4 inch head space. Place lids on jars; tighten screw bands. Place jars on rack in pot of simmering water, making sure jars are completely covered by water. Bring to rolling boil. Boil 10 minutes; cool. Carefully remove jars from water. Check for proper seal. If lid pushes down, but springs up, jar is improperly sealed; reprocess immediately.