Delicate slices of fresh apples and the sweetness of Domino® Light Brown Sugar combine with bright, flavorful spices to create this light and flaky dessert.
For the Tart
- 2 1/2 cups All-purpose flour 2 1/2 cups All-purpose flour
- Domino® Golden Sugar 1 tablespoon 1 tablespoon Domino® Golden Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Salt 1 teaspoon Salt
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) Unsalted butter, cold 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) Unsalted butter, cold
- 1/2 cup Ice water 1/2 cup Ice water
- 6 medium Granny Smith Apples, peeled, cored and sliced 6 medium Granny Smith Apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- Domino® Light Brown Sugar 1/2 cup 1/2 cup Domino® Light Brown Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Freshly squeezed lemon juice 1 teaspoon Freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 large Egg 1 large Egg
- Domino® Turbinado Washed Raw Cane Sugar 1 tablespoon 1 tablespoon Domino® Turbinado Washed Raw Cane Sugar
For the Brandied Caramel Sauce
- 2 tablespoons Unsalted butter 2 tablespoons Unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup Heavy cream 1/4 cup Heavy cream
- Domino® Light Brown Sugar 1 cup 1 cup Domino® Light Brown Sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon Sea salt 1/4 teaspoon Sea salt
- 2 tablespoons brandy 2 tablespoons brandy
In a large bowl whisk together flour, sugar, and salt. Using a pastry blender or a pastry fork, cut butter into the flour mixture until the mixture is crumbly. Add ice water little by little and toss with a fork to moisten the dough. Turn the dough onto a work surface and knead twice. Pat the dough into a rectangle. Wrap with plastic paper and allow the dough to rest in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
Preheat oven to 375°F. Line one baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough to form a 12x16-inch rectangle. Carefully, transfer dough to prepared baking sheet.
In a large bowl, toss the apple slices with the brown sugar and lemon juice. Arrange the apple slices in overlapping rows leaving a 2-inch border around. Fold the edge of the dough. Brush the edge with egg wash and sprinkle turbinado sugar.
Bake the tart for 50 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven.
While the tart is baking, prepare the sauce. Melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in cream and sugar. Heat mixture for a boil, stirring continuously. Add salt and brandy; boil for 5 minutes until the mixture thickens.
Cut the tart in 12 pieces and drizzle sauce over each piece. Serve warm.
The brandy can be replaced with apple brandy or apple juice if desired.