Delicate slices of fresh apples and the sweetness of Domino® Light Brown Sugar combine with bright, flavorful spices to create this light and flaky dessert.
- Domino® Light Brown Sugar 2 1/4 teaspoons for sprinkling 2 1/4 teaspoons for sprinkling Domino® Light Brown Sugar
- 1 sheet puff pastry 1 sheet puff pastry
- 2 -3 apples, cored, halved and sliced to 1/8" - ¼ “ thickness 2 -3 apples, cored, halved and sliced to 1/8" - ¼ “ thickness
- Domino® Light Brown Sugar 1/4 cup 1/4 cup Domino® Light Brown Sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice 1 tablespoon lemon juice
Brandied Caramel Sauce
- 2 tablespoons butter 2 tablespoons butter
- ¼ cup milk ¼ cup milk
- Domino® Light Brown Sugar 1/2 cup 1/2 cup Domino® Light Brown Sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1½ tablespoons brandy 1½ tablespoons brandy
- Domino® Demerara Washed Raw Cane Sugar 2 1/4 teaspoons for sprinkling 2 1/4 teaspoons for sprinkling Domino® Demerara Washed Raw Cane Sugar
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
Allow pastry to sit out for 5 minutes at room temperature or until it can be unfolded without breaking. Unfold and place on top of a piece of parchment paper.
In a large bowl, toss the apple slices with ¼ cup brown sugar and lemon juice. Let mixture rest 10 minutes, tossing every few minutes.
Cut the puff pastry sheet into 9 equal squares. Roll out each square into a 4.5 x 3.5 - inch rectangle using a rolling pin.
Space the pastry pieces out evenly on prepared baking sheet. Prick each pastry piece well with a fork.
Preheat oven to 375°F.
Drain then shingle the apple slices in overlapping rows to the edges of each piece of pastry dough. Repeat until all of the pastry is covered with apple slices. Sprinkle 1/4 teaspoon of additional brown sugar over the tops of each pastry.
Chill prepared pastries in the refrigerator for 10 minutes then bake 40 minutes or until edges and bottoms are golden brown.
Remove from oven and cool to room temperature before serving.
Brandied Caramel Sauce
Melt butter in a saucepan over low heat.
Whisk in milk and brown sugar.
Heat mixture for a boil, stirring continuously. Add salt and brandy, then gently boil for 5 minutes, undisturbed, until the mixture thickens.
Remove pan from heat and let sit 1 to 2 minutes before proceeding.
Brush or drizzle 1 tablespoon sauce over each baked pastry.
Optional: Sprinkle each of the pastry edges with 1/4 teaspoon demerara sugar.
The brandy can be replaced with an apple brandy or apple juice if desired.