Traditional Italian cannoli filled with sweet ricotta cream.
For the pastry
- 1 ¾ cups All-purpose flour 1 ¾ cups All-purpose flour
- Domino® Golden Sugar 2 tablespoons 2 tablespoons Domino® Golden Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Cocoa powder 1 teaspoon Cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon Ground cinnamon ½ teaspoon Ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon Salt 1/8 teaspoon Salt
- ¼ cup Shortening ¼ cup Shortening
- ¼ cup Marsala wine ¼ cup Marsala wine
- 1 tablespoon White vinegar 1 tablespoon White vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Water 2 teaspoons Water
- 2 large Eggs 2 large Eggs
For the cream
- 3 cups Fresh ricotta cheese, drained overnight 3 cups Fresh ricotta cheese, drained overnight
- Domino® Golden Sugar 1 cup 1 cup Domino® Golden Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Marsala Wine 1 teaspoon Marsala Wine
- 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract 1 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon Ground cinnamon ¼ teaspoon Ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup Mini chocolate chips 1/3 cup Mini chocolate chips
- Domino® Powdered Sugar As garnish As garnish Domino® Powdered Sugar
In a large bowl, combine all the dry ingredients. Using a fork, cut shortening into the flour mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs.
Mix Marsala wine, vinegar, water and 1 egg. Gradually add wet mixture to flour mixture. Mix by hand until a dough is formed. Remove from bowl and knead a few times on a flat surface until the dough feels smooth to the touch. Form the dough into a disk and wrap with plastic paper. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
To prepare the cream, strain ricotta cheese through a fine mesh. In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, mix ricotta cheese, sugar, Marsala wine, vanilla, and cinnamon. Mix at medium speed for about 2 minutes. Remove bowl from mixer, and with a spatula mix in the chocolate chips. Refrigerate mixture until it is time to fill the cannoli shells.
Whisk the remaining egg and set aside.
Remove dough from the refrigerator after 1 hour of rest. Divide dough in quarters. On a lightly floured surface, roll out one quarter of dough as thin as possible. You can use a pasta machine to achieve the thinnest possible dough. While working on one quarter of dough, keep the rest covered with plastic paper. Cut out rounds using a 4-inch round cookie cutter. Loosely wrap each round piece around a 5x1-inch metal cannoli tube. Seal the edges where they meet with the beaten egg.
Deep fry cannoli in 2-inch vegetable oil at 360°F. Fry until golden brown. About 1 minute per cannoli. Remove from oil and drain on top of paper towels. Let cannoli cool before removing the metal tubes.
Place cream in a large pastry bag fitted with a ½-inch plain round tip.
When the cannoli are completely cool and you are ready to serve, fill cannoli with cream. Insert the tip of the pastry bag into a cannoli shell and squeeze some cream. When you reach the edge of the shell, stop piping, then move the pastry tip away. Repeat on the other side of the cannoli. Fill out all the cannoli shells the same way.
Dip both ends of the cannoli in mini chocolate chips and garnish with Domino Powdered Sugar. Serve.
To make double chocolate cannoli – follow the same process for the cream and add 2 tablespoons of cocoa to the cream.
To make cinnamon cannoli – follow the same process but remove chocolate chips from the cream. Prepare a mixture of 2 teaspoons of cinnamon and 1 cup of Domino Golden Less Processed Sugar. Roll drained cannoli in cinnamon and sugar mixture. Fill with cream.