Domino® Golden Sugar helps carrots make the journey from side dish to featured dessert in the form of this delicate cake layered with smooth cream cheese frosting.
- 2 cups cake flour 2 cups cake flour
- 2 teaspoons Baking Soda 2 teaspoons Baking Soda
- 1 teaspoon Salt 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 tablespoon Cinnamon 1 tablespoon Cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground Ginger 1/2 teaspoon Ground Ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon Allspice 1/4 teaspoon Allspice
- 4 large Eggs 4 large Eggs
- 2 cups Domino® Golden Sugar 2 cups Domino® Golden Sugar
- 1 cup Canola Oil 1 cup Canola Oil
- 4 cups Finely grated golden carrots 4 cups Finely grated golden carrots
For the frosting
- 8 oz. (1/2 lb.) Cream Cheese 8 oz. (1/2 lb.) Cream Cheese
- 1/2 cup Unsalted Butter 1/2 cup Unsalted Butter
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla 2 teaspoons Vanilla
- 4 cups Domino® Powdered Sugar 4 cups Domino® Powdered Sugar
Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease and line with parchment 3 – 8” or 9” pans or a 18 X 13 X 1 inch baking sheet pan.
In a large bowl, sift or whisk all dry ingredients together and hold aside.
In a mixer bowl, beat eggs and sugar together on medium-high speed for 3 minutes. Add oil in a slow stream, beating for 1 minute total
Stir in carrots until combined into the batter then stir in sifted dry ingredients, just until blended.
Spread batter into prepared pan(s) and bake:
· 25 minutes for baking sheet pan
· 18-20 minutes for 8” rounds
· 16-18 minutes for 9” rounds
In mixer bowl combine all ingredients together and beat 3-5 minutes or until light and fluffy. Spread over the top of the baking sheet pan or in between the layers and over the top of the cake for the layered cake.
Orange carrots can be substituted for golden carrots, if not available.
A bit of milk or more powdered sugar can be added to achieve the desired consistency for frosting. A stiffer frosting and chilling the frosting slightly is desired for piping decorative finishes.