- 1 (5-6 pound) Bone in pork shoulder 1 (5-6 pound) Bone in pork shoulder
- 1 tablespoon Kosher salt 1 tablespoon Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon Ground pepper 1 teaspoon Ground pepper
- 4 tablespoons Unsalted butter 4 tablespoons Unsalted butter
- 4 Garlic cloves, thinly sliced 4 Garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 medium Onion, thinly sliced 1 medium Onion, thinly sliced
- ¼ teaspoon Fennel seeds, slightly toasted and crushed ¼ teaspoon Fennel seeds, slightly toasted and crushed
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon Ground pepper ¼ teaspoon Ground pepper
- Domino® Light Brown Sugar ¾ cup ¾ cup Domino® Light Brown Sugar
- ½ cup Apple cider vinegar ½ cup Apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup Water 1 cup Water
Step by Step Instructions:
Preheat oven to 300°F. Sprinkle pork with 1 tablespoon of salt and 1 teaspoon of pepper. Place the pork in a large roasting pan, fat side up.
In a medium saucepan, over medium-low heat, melt the butter. Add garlic, onion, fennel seeds, ½-teaspoon salt, and ¼-teaspoon ground pepper. Stir, until onion is translucent. Add sugar, vinegar, and water. Cook until the sugar dissolves completely.
Add the sugar-vinegar mixture to the bottom of the roasting pan. Cover the roasting pan with aluminum foil and place in the oven. Roast for 5 hours, basting with the sugar-vinegar mixture every 30 minutes. After 5 hours, remove the aluminum foil and increase the oven temperature to 350°F, roast for one more hour. Remove the roasting pan from the oven; baste with sugar-vinegar mixture. Allow the meat to rest for 25 minutes before carving.
Serve with roasted carrots, onions, and fennel. Garnish with fresh tarragon.