From blogger, Running to the Kitchen, these zucchini bars use gluten-free ingredients, a less processed sugar and less oil than the classic recipe with a lighter cream cheese icing too!
- 1 cup gluten-free baking blend (can sub all-purpose flour) 1 cup gluten-free baking blend (can sub all-purpose flour)
- 3/4 cup oat flour 3/4 cup oat flour
- 1/2 cup rolled oats 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, melted 1 tablespoon coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 cup 0% plain Greek yogurt 1/2 cup 0% plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup 2% milk (or any other milk) 1/2 cup 2% milk (or any other milk)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Domino® Golden Sugar 1/3 cup 1/3 cup Domino® Golden Sugar
- 1 large zucchini grated (abut 2 cups), squeezed of excess water 1 large zucchini grated (abut 2 cups), squeezed of excess water
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 5 ounces neufchatel (low-fat) cream cheese 5 ounces neufchatel (low-fat) cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons 0% plain Greek yogurt 2 tablespoons 0% plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Domino® Confectioners Sugar 3/4 cup 3/4 cup Domino® Confectioners Sugar
- Domino® Golden Sugar 1-2 tablespoons 1-2 tablespoons Domino® Golden Sugar
Grease an 8x8 or similar sized baking dish and preheat oven to 350°F.
Combine the flours, oats, baking powder, baking soda and spices in a large bowl.
Whisk together the egg and coconut oil in a medium bowl.
Add the remaining wet ingredients except the zucchini and whisk until thoroughly combined.
Gently fold the zucchini into the wet ingredients.
Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix until combined.
Transfer the batter into the prepared baking dish, spreading evenly into the corners and bake for about 25 minutes until center is cooked through and edges start to brown and pull away from the baking dish.
Remove from the oven and let cool completely in the dish.
Cream Cheese Frosting
Beat the butter and neufchatel/cream cheese in a medium bowl with a handheld mixer on medium speed for about 2 minutes until light and fluffy.
Add the Greek yogurt and vanilla and beat again until mixed through.
Slowly add the confectioners' sugar with a mixer on low speed. Once all the confectioners' sugar has been added, increase speed to medium-high and beat until smooth.
Remove the cooled cake from the baking dish and spoon frosting on top. Spread an even layer of frosting across entire cake then sprinkle top with the Domino® Golden Sugar.
Cut into 16 squares before serving.
Zucchini bars can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 5-7 days.
Additional time = cooling time