Cubes of ripe Bartlett pear add a light, fruity touch to our savory quiches with bacon, blue cheese and Domino® Light Brown Sugar.
- 30 Mini phyllo shells, store bought 30 Mini phyllo shells, store bought
- 4 ounces Bacon 4 ounces Bacon
- ¼ cup Water ¼ cup Water
- 2 tablespoons White wine 2 tablespoons White wine
- 1 medium Bartlett pear, diced in ¼-inch cubes 1 medium Bartlett pear, diced in ¼-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon Onions, chopped 1 tablespoon Onions, chopped
- Domino® Light Brown Sugar 2 tablespoons 2 tablespoons Domino® Light Brown Sugar
- ¾ cup Heavy cream ¾ cup Heavy cream
- 3 large Eggs 3 large Eggs
- ¼ teaspoon Salt ¼ teaspoon Salt
- ¼ teaspoon Cracked black pepper ¼ teaspoon Cracked black pepper
- 4 ounces Blue cheese crumbles 4 ounces Blue cheese crumbles
- Fresh parsley leaves, for garnish Fresh parsley leaves, for garnish
Preheat oven to 400°F. Place phyllo shells on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or aluminum foil.
Cut the bacon into long strips about 1/4 inch wide. Cook the bacon with water in a medium skillet. Water allows for uniform browning. Fry over medium heat until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Set aside.
Remove all of the fat rendered by the bacon in the skillet but 1 teaspoon. Do not discard the small pieces of bacon left behind in the skillet after cooking it. Deglaze the skillet with white wine (if you do not have white wine, you can use chicken stock). Add to the skillet the pears, onions and brown sugar. Cook until the onions are translucent and pears are tender. Remove from heat and set aside.
In a large measuring cup, preferably with a pouring spout, whisk together cream, eggs, salt and pepper.
Add pieces of bacon (set aside some pieces for garnish) and pear/onion mixture to each shell. Pour egg mixture over each shell. Add crumbles of blue cheese to each shell. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes until the center is set and the shells are golden brown.
Garnish with pieces of bacon and parsley. Serve.