Topping tips from Domino® Sugar to better any breakfast
The benefits of adding breakfast toppings
Take your breakfast from simple to spectacular with the help of Executive Chef, Eleonora. Think of this as a guideline, setting out some easy-to-follow instructions that will get you off on the right foot and leave you confident enough to freestyle your breakfast once you get the hang of it.
1. Choose your breakfast base
There are countless breakfast staples to choose from that make an excellent foundation upon which to build something even better.
- Pancakes are quick, easy and can be made with simple ingredients and equipment.
- Waffles are similar to pancakes, but lighter, airier and have pockets perfect for holding any toppings you choose to add. You will need a waffle iron as well.
- Biscuits require a bit more prep time, but reward you with buttery, flaky goodness that pairs equally well with sweet or savory toppings.
- Cereal/Oats can be served hot or cold, allowing for uniquely different textures and taste profiles. Fresh fruit is a favorite addition to both.
2. Take it to the top
The simple goodness of the breakfast items above makes them easy to pair with countless toppings, giving you an almost inexhaustible variety of tastes to wake up to. For instance, you can add:
- Fresh berries are delicious when added to breakfast items, whether they are enjoyed hot or cold. Use your favorite, whatever is in season or choose something more exotic as a diversion from the usual breakfast fare.
- Sprinkled sugars offer a range of flavors from the simple sweetness of Domino® Powdered Sugar to the rich molasses notes of Domino® Dark Brown Sugar.
- Sauces and Syrups add moisture to drier items like biscuits, and offer incredible flavor as well. Our Browned Butter Syrup is a deliciously rich way to top pancakes or waffles, while our Vanilla Bean Syrup will add sweetness and depth of flavor to your coffee or tea.
- Sliced or dried fruit adds sweetness, tartness, color and texture. How much of each depends on which fruit you choose, but virtually any fruit works well as a breakfast topping, so trust your taste buds.
- Jellies are a simple way to spread on sweetness and fruit flavor, and it is impossible to go wrong when you choose our Apple Jelly or Grape Jelly.
- Jams take fruit flavor to the next level. They’re made from actual pieces of the fruit itself, so their texture and consistency is different than jellies, which are made from fruit juice and sugar alone. For a fresh-from-the-farm burst of fruit flavor, try our Strawberry Jam or Peach Jam the next time your alarm clock calls.
Now, you are ready to start making the most important meal of the day your most delicious as well, with all the flavor of fruits, nuts, seeds and other additions. Once you find your footing, step out and explore new breakfast toppings on your own. There is a whole world of ingredients and a whole line of Domino® Sugars waiting to surprise and delight you.
Enjoy breakfast at its best with these other recipes
More chef-approved breakfast favorites from Domino® Sugar.