How to Make a Glaze
A basic glaze contains confectioners’ sugar and a liquid such as water or milk. More liquid is added for a thinner glaze. Flavor can be added with melted chocolate, extracts, jams, or fruit juice.
- Cake should be at room temperature or slightly chilled.
- Put a piece of parchment or wax paper under cake to catch drips.
- Glaze should be of pouring consistency. Glaze sets quickly, so if you're applying decorations or toppings such as nuts, do so immediately after glazing.
- Pour glaze on the center of cake. Allow excess to drip off cake. Touch glaze as infrequently as possible to avoid picking up crumbs.
- Allow glazed cake to set for at least 2 hours at room temperature.